The city of New Albin is located in the northeast corner of Iowa on the Minnesota line in the Mississippi River Valley. New Albin is only 27 miles from La Crosse, Wisconsin.
You will find the backwaters of the Mississippi River east of town. You can access these backwaters by Army Road, which was built in 1962 by the Corp of Engineers. As you travel to the north edge of town you will find the famous iron post, which is registered with the National Historical Society. This iron post marks the boundary line between Minnesota and Iowa. As you head east and cross the railroad tracks you will see the Winnebago Valley and surrounding bluffs. And finally, as you complete the circle going south you’ll see the Upper Iowa River Valley.
Looking back to the beginning…
New Albin was first named “State Line” but after a tragic accident that took the life of a 10 year old boy named Albin, State Line was renamed Albin. Albin was the son of a railroad man who was instrumental in bringing the railroad to the area. The name “Albin” then changed to “New Albin” after discovering other towns in Iowa with the same or similar name.
As the town evolved, a meeting for a proposed bank was held April 7, 1898. Those present were Wm. Coleman, H. Martin, R.H. Thomson, G.A. Ericson, V. Hutter, M. Bock, L.H. Gaarder, F.C. Meyer and Andrew Dahlie, citizens of Iowa, H.W. Hahn, Henry Luttchens, Larry Welsh, Henry C. Fruechte and Chris Bunge Jr. citizens of Minnesota. The group formed a corporation under the permission of Chapter 10 Title IX of the Code of Iowa to adopt the Articles of Incorporation.
Wm. Coleman was elected chairman and M. Bock secretary. The capital stock of the bank to be placed at $15,000.00, divided into shares of $100.00 each.
The original shareholders were:
W.O. Bock Vincent Hutter
C. Bunge Jr. Henry Luttchens
Wm. Coleman H. Martin
G.A. Ericson F.C. Meyer
Henry Fruechte Andrew Dahlie
L.H. Gaarder Robert H. Thomson
H.W. Hahn Larry Welsh
The bank was named New Albin Savings Bank.
L.H. Gaarder, G.A Ericson and M. Bock were elected to draft a constitution and by-laws, and the affairs of the bank were governed by a board of seven directors, F.C. Meyer, R.H. Thomson, Wm. Coleman, G.A. Ericson, L.H. Gaarder, H. Martin and M. Bock.
The decision to purchase the property located at SW ¼ of Lot 128 in New Albin as the bank building site was approved in the April 14, 1898 meeting.
The first stockholders meeting in the bank building was January 9, 1900. In one year “conditions of the bank showed a material growth of double in size.”
The first dividend was declared on stock on record as of January 1, 1907.
At the stockholders meeting dated January 14, 1908, “it was the opinion of all present that necessary steps be taken to increase the capital stock to $30,000.00.”
On September 30, 1929, “an agreement was made with Dorchester Saving Bank in taking over their deposits and paying the same in full.”
As of September 13, 1933, the board moved to reduce the capital stock from $30,000 to $25,000. On Nov. 8, 1933, the stockholders approved the reduction. The bank was now finally able to “be released and discharged from management under Senate File III and to assume charge of its own assets,” which had been under management of the Banking Department of the State of Iowa.
On October 13, 1933, it was decided to make application for “Membership in the temporary Federal Deposit Insurance Fund.”
The first woman, Estella Hannafin, was elected to the board of directors on January 8, 1935. She was board president from 1937-1944.
By January 1940, bank deposits grew to $340,000.
On May 6, 1942, the bank was qualified as a Series E Bond agent for selling US Savings Bonds.
As of May 12, 1948, it was resolved that the corporate period of the bank which will expire June 18, 1948 is hereby extended for a 50 year term, which would be in 1998 unless otherwise dissolved by the voluntary action of the stockholders.
The decision to purchase the old post office building adjacent to the bank from Stacia Hartley was approved June 7, 1967.
In January of 1968, the remodeling and addition were completed and the main counter was moved to the new addition.
Previously the upstairs rented out to a doctor and dentist and then used for storage. The area was renovated into office space, directors room and lunch area in 1995.
In the summer of 1996, the front of the bank was re-bricked to restore the original look.
The third edition was completed in 2007, which features refurbished limestone walls that were constructed more than 100 years ago. The stone is highlighted with oak woodwork. The limestone was quarried locally and the oak was harvested from the area.
New Albin Savings Bank has been serving their families and friends since 1898. The bank’s principal market area includes Northeast Iowa, Southeast Minnesota and Southwest Wisconsin.
Currently, the board of directors includes Barry Fruechte, Allen Meiners, Jake Imhoff, Ray Whalen, Bob Bulman, Steve Fruechte and Jim Hosch.
Sources: The First 100 Years of New Albin - book, New Albin Savings Bank – Board Minutes
Today, more than 500 residents call New Albin home. New Albin residents and visitors can take advantage of the following businesses, attractions and services:
- Dee Implement
- Meyer Mechanical (rural)
- Valley Ag
- Holiday Hotel
- Peg’s Apartments
- New Albin Housing Corp.
- Winneshiek Developments, Inc.
- Buzzard's Bar & Grill
- Iron Post Grill
- Fred’s Eastside Tap
- Harmon’s High Chaparall Tavern & Restaurant
- The Hair Depot
- Linda Tanner
- Alexie Grotegut
Christ Community Evangelical Free Church
Evangelical Church of Peace (Rural)
Grace United Methodist Church
Mt. Hope Presbyterian Church (Rural)
St. John's UCC-Wheatland (Rural)
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
St. Peter's Christian Community Church
- New Albin Firemen’s Breakfast – 3rd Sunday of February
- Easter Sunrise Service & Breakfast - Easter Sunday
- Community Easter Egg Hunt – March/April
- High Chap’s Adult Prom – April
- St. John’s UCC Chicken Que – 1st Sunday of May
- New Albin Savings Bank Appreciation Dinner – 2nd Saturday of May
- New Albin Days –June 12 & 13
- Shooky Fink Tournament – Memorial Day Weekend
- Memorial Day Service – Memorial Day
- Farmer’s Market – Summer/Fridays/City Park
- Shooky Fink Little League Tournament – mid-July
- St. Joseph’s Festival Dinner – 4th Sunday in August
- St. John’s Mission Fest Dinner – 2nd Sunday in September
- Quilt Show - October
- Veteran’s Spaghetti Dinner – November
- Community Thanksgiving Dinner – Thanksgiving
Computer Sales & Service
- Siebring Enterprises
- Avon – Lori Weymiller, Sandy Hosch & Alexie Feuerhelm
- Mary Kay – Diane Weymiller
- Scentsy-Alexie Grotegut
- Tupperware – Michelle Gallagher
- Wildtree - Alexie Grotegut
- Allamakee Wood-Fired Pottery
- Red Hawk Glass
- Linda Ravenwind - artist
- George Blair - pottery
- Angela Blair - jewelry
- Jerry Mauss – maple syrup
- Karen Lee – embroidery/monogramming
- Karen Lee – piano lessons
- Maria Stahl - decals
- Army Road Park & Boat Landing
- City Park & Gazebo
- City Playground & Basketball Courts
- Fish Farm Mounds – Indian Burial Grounds (Rural)
- Iron Post – National Historical Society Register
- Kee Hawk Baseball – Shooky Fink Baseball Field
- Kee Hawk Softball – Softball Field
- New Albin Elementary School Park
- New Albin Indians Baseball & Softball – Summer Rec
- New Albin Museum - open New Albin Days
- Round Barn (National Register of Barns)
- The Way Station - Youth Game Center
- Veterans Memorial Monument
- Barry Stahl Photography
- Hammell Tent Rental
- JML Designs - party rentals
- New Albin Community Center
- New Albin Townhouse
- Pro Line Audio
- Seedie's Baking LLC - Trina Lewis
- Ted Peck Hunting & Fishing Guide
- New Albin Insurance Agency
- New Albin Savings Bank
- Small Town Insurance
- Darling Repair
- Glasstech Windshield Repair (Rural)
- John Burroughs Repair
- L&M Gas & Go
- City Meat Market
- E&P Fisheries
Home Repair & Remodeling
- Colsch Construction
- Damon Construction
- Donahue Construction-Larry Donahue
- John Pitts Cabinetry (Rural)
- Krenzke Roofing & Remodeling
- Mauss Electric
- Mauss Pumping Service (Rural)
- New Albin Construction
- Rask Construction
- Ron McCormick Construction
- Valley Heating & Air Conditioning
- Dog House Lodgings
- Winnebago Hide-Away (Rural)
- Winneshiek Developments
- Kim Anjie Iowa LLC
- Konkel Forest Products
- Trinity Fabricators/Arrowhead Industries
- Kenneth Casey Post 5603 VFW
- Ladies Auxiliary to the VFW
- New Albin Improvement League (NAIL)
- New Albin Fire & Ambulance Departments
- Quilter’s Group
- The Pet Stop
- The Way Station - Thrift Shop
- New Albin Elementary
- City Clerk’s Office – Nikki Konkel
- City Council Members: Joel Sires, Jr., Kathy Goetzinger, Joshua Dreps, Joel Monroe, George Blair
- City Mayor –Debra Stantic
- New Albin Library-Krislyn Curry
- Sires/Hovden Oil
- US Post Office
We invite you to visit New Albin today!